It takes a marksman about 3-4 seconds to set the sight on a target, so if you run away and weave, you greatly reduce your chances of being hit. In fact, you don't even have to weave.
Studies of New York police officer shootings show that if you can put 25 feet between you and the shooter, he almost certainly won't hit you at all.
In live fire situations, where cops were actively trying to hit a perpetrator, they managed to hit their targets:
- 38% of the time at a distance of 0-2 yards,
- 17% of the time at 3-8 yards,
- 9% of the time at 8-15 yards.
- 8% of the time at 16-25 yards,
- 4% of the time at greater than 25 yards
Lock all the children into a small room, just like you would lock sheep or cattle into a pen.